Friday, September 16, 2016

Train to Llandudno


My cousin Lesley who I was meeting for the very first time asked me what I would like to do during my holiday in England. My answer required no thought at all. I said that I would like to visit my favourite place - Llandudno. I made arrangements to meet her at her house located in the picturesque lowlands of Cheshire early the next day but I got lost. Further, my cell-phone didn't work in the UK and it was early in the morning so no-one was around to ask for directions. I was running out of options fast but, guess what, McDonald's came to the rescue. I asked an attendant to call Lesley's house to explain exactly where I was. She came to get me laughing. I felt like such an idiot. 

When we arrived at Newton Le Willows Station I felt that I had been transported magically back in time eighty years. The stations were very small with one platform on the one side connected to the other side by an over-head corridor. Sadly, gone were the old majestic steam trains but it was still a thrill to have the feeling of travelling back in time. What had not changed was the pungent odour of massive slow-moving locomotives satisfying the commuting needs of working folks from Newton Le Willows, Earlstown, St. Helens, Widnes and Chester through to the gorgeous North Coast of Wales terminating at Llandudno Station. I'm kind of an emotional guy and I was awestruck by the sheer beauty of N. Wales opening-up right in front of my very own eyes. This was for real. I was not dreaming and I was not watching an old movie. I felt a need to try to control my emotions. Sometimes I get carried away a little but I do my best to suppress them. It was evident that Lesley knew the area like the back of her hand and she provided me with an excellent running commentary. 


John at the Station



I had explained to Lesley that once we get to Llandudno my first and only priority was to visit the impressive and magnificent Great Orme. The weather was not on our side. It was dull and rainy. I was glad that I had been alert enough to bring along my umbrella which Lesley and I shared. We discussed various options available to us. Since there were tour busses waiting and ready to tour the Great Orme it seemed the best thing to do at the time. We had an excellent driver who gave us an in-depth history of the Great Orme over the years. I never knew that Sir Cliff Richard owns a house there. Lesley went pale and looked shocked when I explained to her that I had almost drowned in the sea by the Great Orme when I was ten. You never forget that kind of thing. We both agreed that the tour had been an excellent choice. Both of us had been impressed by the presentations made by the drivers and it was now time for lunch. Lesley asked what would I like for lunch and she wanted to know why I was smiling from ear to ear just like Cheshire cat. I said, "Get real Lesley!" I'm here in England; in the rain; over-looking the ocean and you dare ask what I want to eat?" "First and Chips of course!" We both laughed and we headed for a nice fish and chip restaurant along the promenade. Since Lesley and I were new Cousins and she had a healthy curiosity about her new family we discussed more about our two families than most families do throughout their lifetime. 


View from the Great Orme



During the afternoon we took a second bus trip to Conway. We were enjoying the trip so much that we had not even noticed the rain. After all these years, Conway was still familiar to me. In comparison, England has no crippling snowstorms that maroon folks in their small villages for months on end. No devastating forest fires that level entire Cities and make 80,000 people homeless in one go; and killer floods that drown entire villages outright. Thank God for England's mostly moderate climate; green fields and relatively calm oceans. During the late afternoon I had to quietly turn my head to conceal a great big gaping yawn from prying eyes. Where on Earth did this new cousin of mine get her boundless energy from? "Hey slow down Lesley - I feel like I'm trying to keep up with my daughter Alison. She's tough to keep up with too. 


Afternoon Nap


It was time to go home. We left the train at Colwyn Bay and we walked around the town. It was fascinating and I saw remnants of an old Castle that I never saw before. I treated myself to a giant rum and raisin ice-cream cone but it became a constant battle between me and the seagulls to get to finish it off. I finally won. Lesley knew what trains to take so we boarded yet another train to head towards Lowton. Sometime later I felt a gentle tug on my jacket. It was Lesley smiling at me. I had been sleeping like a baby. Yes, I felt just a little embarrassed but what a terrific day it had been and it wasn't over yet. Lesley and her husband Jim had invited me to stay for a real roast beef supper (I've got to re-learn how to say "tea"). It was an extra special treat for me. They don't have roast beef in Burnaby at all but they have tons of chop suey and egg fu yung. That's what I've learned to live on. Jim then showed me his magnificent display of a thousand toys. He even gave me a few as a gesture of friendship.

Thanks Lesley and Jim for a truly wonderful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment