Friday, March 19, 2010

Test of Courage


It was the most frightening experience of my life. I don't think I've ever been as scared as I was during my initiation ceremony at Fletcher College in South-West Lancashire. Ironically, I could have opted out of the ordeal, but only at the risk of being sent to Coventry. That, would have meant punishment from hell so I chose the lesser of two evils. I chose to accept whatever challenges my senior prefect had in store for us, knowing full well, that I would have to just grin and bear it.


David, Morgan and myself, had drawn the short straws. We had to walk up the haunted tower of Country Castle located about two miles out of town. The Castle was well-known for its brutal treatment of criminals and petty thieves in the old days. Daily floggings, the use of the iron maiden, and botched hangings were no stranger to Country Castle. It was whispered that some of the poor souls still wandered around the castle tower, even today.

A senior prefect transported us to the castle on a moonless Sunday at precisely twelve midnight. He asked us who wanted to be the first. I volunteered, not because I wanted to fake bravery but because I wanted to get this terrifying ordeal over with as quickly as possible. I couldn't stand the strain much longer. I was given three candles in a single candlestick holder. I was to enter the tower; go up the narrow spiral staircase to the first landing and wave the candlestick where it could be seen through the barred window. Then, I was to do the same thing on the second and third levels and return to the senior prefect in the parking lot. By the time I got back I could hardly walk. My knees had turned to jelly. “Fifteen minutes and twenty seconds” said the senior prefect.

David volunteered to go next. He was given the same instructions. We waited patiently until we saw the candlestick being waved though the windows on the first, second and third levels. He returned out of breath and his face was white. He said that he thought he'd seen a ghost. “Thirteen minutes and fifty seconds” noted the senior prefect.

Morgan remained seated and didn't say a word. The senior prefect said, “Your turn Morgan. Get moving!” “No! ...I can't do it” mumbled Morgan. “You will do it Morgan or I shall make sure that every student in the school knows that you are a coward. You will be ostracised. No-one will ever speak to you again. Do you understand Morgan? That's what being sent to Coventry is all about.” Morgan got up shakily. He could hardly hold the candlestick upright. A short time later, we saw the candlestick at the first and second levels. Then, finally, the candlestick appeared at the third level. David and I, and especially the senior prefect, breathed a sigh of relief.

We waited for Morgan to return, but he didn't show up. The candlestick continued to illuminate the third floor. “That's twenty minutes” said the senior prefect. “Where is that boy?” At thirty minutes we realized that something must have gone wrong. “Maybe he fell down the stairs and he's hurt” I said. “Let's all go to find him, together”, said the senior prefect.

He was stone dead! A rusty nail had got caught in the collar of his jacket and had tugged him back against the door as he walked through. He had died instantly of fright. He was still clutching the candlestick tightly in his right hand. Morgan's tragic death, led to a complete ban on all initiation ceremonies at the College for all time. No-one was more pleased than I.



1 comment:

Post a Comment