Monday, April 23, 2007

My Proudest Moment





It was not a happy time in my life. I was going through the aftermath of my divorce and I didn't know what life had in store for me just around the corner. The fog hadn't lifted yet. I did know, however, that I had to put my worries aside when spending time with my children. It was critical that we have some fun together. In view of the circumstances - this didn't come easy.


I saw a poster announcing that an exhibition of brand spanking new motorcycles was about to take place at an auditorium downtown the following weekend so I bought tickets for me and the kids. The bikes were for me! The glamour and the glitter; the noise; the music; the shows; the hand-outs; the hot-dog stands; the pizza parlours and all the pomp and circumstance that goes with it - would be for the kids. What an ideal set-up for a wonderful fun day.

The whole place smelled of new machines. The new models were shiny and sleek. My boys were allowed to sit on some of the new machines. My daughter was mostly interested in all the goings-on around us. Numbers were being announced now and then over the intercom system ......twenty seconds, ..fifty seconds, one minute fifteen seconds....and so on, followed by applause. They sounded like time intervals. They were coming from the far side of the auditorium. We went to investigate.

A young man was sitting on a new trail-bike trying to maintain his balance while he took both feet off the ground to place them on the foot-pegs. Unfortunately, he began to wobble and tip over almost instantly due to the bike's high centre of gravity and because it was engineered for hill-climbing - not balancing. My kids yelled,...”Go Dad! You can do it! Give it a try Dad!” The record so far for remaining upright was one minute twenty seconds. I thought about how best this might be done but I didn't have a clue.

The moment I sat on the bike it came to me. I took a deep breath, pulled back on the handlebars with all my strength, placed my feet on the foot-pegs - and turned to stone! I was not about to fall over. It was dead easy.

Ten seconds......thirty seconds. A hum came from the crowd. I ignored it. I fixed my stare on a light in the ceiling. One minute...forty seconds and counting. Others came over to see what was going on. No-one was able to figure out how I could remain upright on a trail bike without putting my feet on the ground. Neither could I - but it was so easy. Five minutes forty-five seconds and counting. By this time a quietness has settled throughout the auditorium. Eight minutes forty seconds and counting. Oops! What happened? I lost my concentration momentarily and I started to tip over.

The crowd cheered. I received a standing ovation. I was declared the winner - but receiving first prize was not my proudest moment. The part that stuck in my gut forever was seeing the gleam in my daughter's eyes when she said to a stranger beaming with pride...“That's my Dad! ...He's the winner!”

That!....was my proudest moment.

2 comments:

John Evans said...

If you think back on your life and try to come up with your proudest moment, chances are that it will not be your wedding day if you're like me - that's too stressfull. Maybe it was the day you graduated from college, or the day you gave your best public speech, or the time you won your first race, but for me it all happened one lazy Sunday afternoon when I was with my three kids....Author.

Heather said...

Fabulous memory, John... I can picture it all.

Post a Comment